PRINCIPAL TECHNICAL ARTIST
We are Vertigo Studios, the largest VR developer in the world and part of the Embracer Group, the largest group of developers in the world.
As our Amsterdam studio kicks off development of its most ambitious project to date, a PSVR2 action shooter based on a global franchise, we are looking to recruit a seasoned Technical Artist who take a critical role in our talented team.
As the Principal Technical Artist within Vertigo Studios Amsterdam you’re responsible for creating and realizing opportunities to increase the visual appeal and performance of the graphics. Working in tandem with the art and tech leads you focus on researching and implementing new tools and techniques to drive up the quality of the content and the happiness of your colleagues using the toolchain.
Are you ready for the challenges of high-end VR?
Then we want to hear from you!
- Drive improvements and maintain the toolchain for art asset creation and optimization that meet the team’s needs
- Innovate on techniques in asset creation that get the best visual results from the target platform
- To act as an inspiration for other technical artists in their growth
- A solid understanding of rendering theory from cutting edge console to mobile
- Deep knowledge of e.g. Unreal Engine 4 blueprinting, materials, shaders, etc..
- An expert in optimization for both high end and mobile, from profiling to implementation
- Good communication skills, in English, across all disciplines and with team and management
- Strong technical insight; from content creation to getting it to run in a game
- An affinity with workflow optimization and knowledge of Python; writing scripts and tools that make life easier
BONUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Substance Painter & Designer experience
- Highly experienced with Houdini
- Programming skills in C++ and/or C#
- Understanding of CGFX and/or HLSL shader languages
- Modeling and texturing abilities
- You are an effective communicator with management and the team
- You’re a proven innovator
- You can adapt to different visual styles
- You are organized and forward thinking
- You can iterate upon your designs autonomously or with limited support
- You are eligible to work in the EU
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A company culture that values a healthy work-life balance
- Flexible working hours
- 26 Standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more
- A healthy lunch in our canteen (when working from the office)
- 30% Income tax reduction for eligible expats
- Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation
- Free pension plan
- Free train commuting when living outside of Amsterdam
- Group activities and an annual VR game jam (also whilst working from home)
- Friday afternoon drinks (online)
- The latest VR hardware and titles which you can borrow and take home
- Whilst working from home we provide all the relevant hardware, budget for desk and chair and a contribution toward your energy costs