SENIOR LEVEL DESIGNER
We are Vertigo Studios, the largest VR developer in the world and part of the Embracer Group, the largest group of developers in the world.
As our Amsterdam studio kicks off development of its most ambitious project to date, a true PSVR2 action shooter based on a global franchise, we are looking to add a team member who has a great affinity with the player experience and can collaborate across discipline to make craft game-play that showcases the game's mechanics, characters and setting to make memories that stay with the player.
Ideally you have experience of designing for immersive entertainment and can demonstrate an understanding of the challenges of directing the player attention to the right place at the right time.
Are you seeking a role that offers fantastic opportunity for creative expression and collaboration?
Then please apply!
- Creates spatial designs that consider movement through a space, guiding the player’s attention and staging game and narrative events
- Models simple 3d meshes for blocking out environments
- Designs and implement the level’s game play and narrative events using blueprints or similar visual scripting tools
- Implements the placement of game entities e.g.: characters, enemies cover, pickups etc and balances the level’s difficultly
- Collects and analyses play test data and uses it validate the level design or improve the player experience
- Collaborates closely with art throughout the level creation process from paper design, through block out and rapid iteration to polish
- At least 2 full development cycles of experience on a major PC/Console title in a level design role on an action-adventure title
- Can independently implement level blueprints (or other scripting language)
- Highly organised with good time management and planning skills
- Creatively minded and passionate about design as a discipline
- Demonstrable knowledge of games industry trends and contemporary development practices
- Experienced in Agile development and working in cross disciplinary teams
- Strong knowledge of working with the Unreal Engine
- Experience of designing for VR
- Dialogue or creative writing experience
- Game mechanics design experience at feature level for at least 1 console/PC action-adventure title
- You possess an affinity for environment art and/or good drawing skills
- Creatively minded and knowledgeable about design as a broad discipline
- You have excellent communication skills, especially in terms of presenting level designs to a cross disciplinary group
- A self-motivator, resilient and resourceful
- You are eligible to work in the EU
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A company culture that values a healthy work-life balance
- Flexible working hours
- 26 Standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more
- A healthy lunch in our canteen (when working from the office)
- 30% Income tax reduction for eligible expats
- Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation
- Free pension plan
- Free train commuting when living outside of Amsterdam
- Group activities and an annual VR game jam (also whilst working from home)
- Friday afternoon drinks (online)
- The latest VR hardware and titles which you can borrow and take home
- Whilst working from home we provide all the relevant hardware, budget for desk and chair and a contribution toward your energy costs